Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Don’t Let Negative Expectations Ruin the Present


I would call myself an optimist but this characterization was called into question recently…by me.  In the same realm of descriptive traits, I cannot deny that I am also a realist.  I have embraced both these traits but never have fully examined their relationship upon each other and, after doing so, it seems that they are usually at odds and whichever is seemingly more relevant to the moment wins the use of my consciousness.

This competitive alliance brings me to my current story of an illuminating experience that occurred last week.  I had been strongly implored by my good friend Daniel to join him for a couple hours surfing.  The waves were of trivial size and my natural inclination was to decline.  However, his desire to have me accompany him coupled with the reality of his impending departure from Costa Rica got the best of my logic and I consented.  It should be noted that prior to accepting to offer, I unequivocally voiced my observations on the poor quality of the waves and vocalized my belief that waiting or rather postponing was a more beneficial course of action…solidifying my belief.

Upon getting into the water, I couldn’t abate my expectation that this was a foolish undertaking, and it would certainly prove to be a waste of time and money (surfboard rental fee).  While these disquieting thoughts echoed in my head, Daniel could only speak toward his passion for surfing and the simple satisfaction he received from merely being in the ocean. 

Eventually, my mind was distracted by the physical demands of surfing.  At the next point of reflection, I couldn’t deny that I was enjoying myself. 

After concluding surfing, I found myself paralyzed in the beauty of a Costa Rican sunset.  Wishing I had my camera, I quickly realized that a photograph would only do this natural painting an injustice.  It was so mesmerizing that the use of the word ‘awesome’ could genuinely be used with its true definition.  Speechless, I watched the fusion and combination of colors never before seen seep into my memory and awaken my spirituality to ask “why am I seeing this?”  

The answer, as I have previously written about, falls under the axiom that there is meaning (‘learning’ if you consult my father) in everything.  Specifically, this edifying visual served to highlight (almost literally) and contrast my previous realist and pessimistic prejudiced approach to the outing.

It was then that I realized that my optimism is often reserved for the future and general concepts (e.g. the inherent goodness of man).  My seldom application of optimism to the present is a fundamental foible because, at times, my realistic and analytical mindset is the contributor to a despairing and ultimately negative attitude.   

In short, I was looking for the bad in situations rather than recognizing the good. 

Why is this significant?
Because life is lived in the present; memories (past) and expectations (future) are formed from the now. 
Because perceptions, specifically feelings within perceptions, influence our actions; if we think something will be a letdown, we act (talk, move, etc.) as though it will be.  
Because reality can be restrictive while optimism can be expansive; the realistic mind operates within the confines of the tangible (important in many instances), but the optimistic mind transcends the tangible and searches for useful application to the limitless world of the intangible (e.g. feelings).   

If the axiom ‘there is meaning in everything’ is an important pathway to an enlightened life than I must make a conscious effort to right this imbalance and more effectively blend these valuable traits.    

No comments:

Post a Comment